Friday 11 December 2015

Fireplace Dilemma

So yesterday I took out those bricks you saw in my last post and the iron bar that they were resting on.

Here is the iron bar in place...

Fireplac 2 Dec10 2015

and here is the fireplace after I took the bar out...

Fireplace Dec10 2015

...and what a job that was!  It was embedded in the sides of the fireplace, so I had to make a hole right through at both sides, free the bar from the mortar and knock it out.  It was heavy!

So now what?

I would like to remove the whole structure, and there is no corresponding fireplace or chimney above it, but I wonder if I still need to put a lintel in somewhere (where?) so I'm leaving this task until someone qualified has had a look at it.

So today, I think I might just have a rest.  Or perhaps I'll do a spot of painting - the ceiling maybe.

It's a bit of a grey day today, though not too cold, so I'll go in and tidy up a bit at least.

Have a good weekend - and see you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Penny, does water come down that chimney? Why would there be this structure with no chimney? was it only for decoration? Could you put shelves in there and use it for other things? Or could you just leave it as a feature? Can't wait to see what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely no chimney expert, but I would think you will need a lintel.

    ReplyDelete