Wednesday 20 January 2016

Fireplace News!

Just what you wanted to hear?  The fireplace is finished! Well - I shall have to protect the bricks and mortar with something called (I think) a vitrificateur so that it is sealed and (hopefully) doesn't drop loose bits every time you dust. Dust? Well, I guess I will from time to time... :-)

So now the chimneybreast looks like this...

21 Jan 2016 - 1

21 Jan 2016 - 2

You may not think there is much difference between this and the last picture I showed you, but now all the mortar has been cleaned up and the fire bricks stand out a little more.

I'm going to try and mortar in some more fire bricks where that large hole is on the right.  I've never made lime mortar before, so we'll see how it goes!

So that's the chimneybreast.  Only the wood fire surround to go now, and I need to find my old belt sander for that.  Hope it still works!

Next is the wall over the sink.  I have been told it is easy to do this myself (by a professional builder) so I guess I'll just have to give it a try.It's a bit daunting but hey, what else have I got to do?

Watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. I can tell it looks better. What is the age of your building?

    ReplyDelete